I winged this recipe and the first batch was eaten right off the baking tray in minutes. It was even appreciated by tasters who have never been fans of sweet potatoes. Then, the next day, I had to make a second batch for my snack at work. They are super quick to make, almost as fast as the rate at which they disappear.
The reason I call them “chips” and not chips is because, trying my best, I couldn’t make the slices thin enough and the final product crisp enough. But no regrets, the result I got was perfect for me. If you have any suggestions, how to get the real chips texture in the oven, leave me a comment below and I will try that out too.
Sweet Potato “Chips”
4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon red chili powder
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice into chip-sized pieces, about 2 to 3 millimetres thick.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with all the other ingredients. Mix well till pieces look evenly coated.
- Leave the bowl for a while to let the flavour set in. 10-15 minutes is sufficient.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Get a large baking tray and cover it with aluminum foil. This stuff really sticks.
- Spread out the sweet potato pieces on the tray evenly. Put the tray in the oven to bake.
- After about 12 minutes, the top surface of the “chips” should look drier and they will be shrivelled a bit. Flip them to get the same delicious texture on the other side. Give it a few more minutes in the oven.
- Don’t be alarmed if they blacken a bit. It really brings out the flavour.
- Remove from the oven and leave them out to cool. Stuffing in a box too soon will not retain the texture (though it also makes it harder to retain the quantity with the risk of nibblers).
I love the resulting sweet and spicy kick with every piece. It really brings out the flavour of the sweet potato; the caramelizing sweetness sticks to my teeth like toffee. Hope you try and enjoy this recipe; if you do, please share in the comments below.
Click here to check out the other quick and yummy recipes that were featured on this blog.